Request Information

ASME/ANSI A13.1 Pipe Marking Requirements

Identification of Piping Systems

Pipe labels - piping identification equipment

ASME/ANSI A13.1 is a standard intended to establish a common system to identify hazardous materials flowing through piping systems. The 2007 update to the standard specifies the exact colors to use for pipe marking, and identifies four additional user-defined color combinations. While the 2007 standards are required for new installations, existing facilities should maintain consistency with the existing system to avoid confusion.

The following is a summary of the ASME standards for marking and identifying pipes. These standards apply to the pulp and paper industry for marking all chlorine, caustic and acid lines. (These standards also apply to many other industries.) This is intended to be a brief overview, it is not a complete list of all pipe marking specifications.

O.D. of pipe or covering
Length of the color field
Size of the letters
inches mm inches mm inches mm
< 3/4" < 19mm A permanently legible tag is recommended
3/4 - 1-1/4 19 - 32 8 200 1/2 13
1-1/2 - 2 38 - 51 8 200 3/4 19
2-1/2 - 6 64 - 150 12 300 1-1/4 32
8 - 10 200 - 250 24 600 2-1/2 64
over 10 over 250 32 800 3-1/2 89

Need pipe marking equipment and supplies?

The DuraLabel PRO 300 is a sign and label printer designed to handle a wide range of label printing projects. It can print pipe markers with 300 dpi quality and up to 3 inches per second. Industrial grade tapes are available in over 30 colors.

The NEW DuraLabel Toro is a sign and label printer like no other. It is aportable integrated printing system that has an advanced ergonomic keyboard and adjustable Toro touch screen. This printer makes designing and printing your pipe markers anwhere you take it.

The information presented in this document was obtained from sources that we deem reliable; Graphic Products does not guarantee accuracy or completeness. Graphic Products, Inc. makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied. Users of this document should consult municipal, state, and federal code and/or verify all information with the appropriate regulatory agency.

Contact Request